I got an email the other day telling me I had been nominated for a Liebster Award. Having not encountered this particular creature before I sought the knowledge of the Great Oracle. Google lead me to the link above. It appears to be a thoughtfully constructed exposure chain for the upcoming year, similar to a blog tour but different. I find the idea both fun and compelling and I am pleased to be included in this. According to the rules, I have to include them in my post so here they are, copy and pasted.
- Link to this blog post in your Liebster Award blog post
- Answer the questions given to you (if nominated, if you were not nominated you can use my questions)
- Create more questions for your nominees to answer (I’m looking for unique and creative ones)
- Comment on this blog post with a link DIRECTLY to your Liebster award. To make it easy for me to read them all.
Right out of the gate I would like to acknowledge the blog that nominated me, The Stories In Between and tell you a little about them. I hadn’t run across the blog before the nomination so I’ve been doing a little reading. I have to say I’m quite impressed. The author’s style of writing is smooth and I have no doubt there is a lot of personal experience behind the writing. I can feel it in the shape of the characters and their quite natural dialogue. I always appreciate a story that will take me away from wherever I’m at and leave me feeling like I want to go back. Truly a talented writer who takes the craft seriously. I strongly encourage you to have a look at the blog and enjoy the writing. I’m not finished there yet so I’ll be ramping up the views as I make my way through Thursdays In The Valley. I am genuinely flattered to have to such a fine storyteller nominate my blog.
EDIT: This post has taken me a few days to write and before I was finished a second nomination was dropped on my blog. Thank you so much A Tree’s Roots! Your blog is quite inspiring. The energy that you put into your life and your words is meaningful to me on many levels and I look forward to spending more time on your blog. The answers to your questions follow right after The Stories In Between. I hope it’s not cheating to do it like this.
Next up is the questions. The Stories In Between answered ten questions posed by the blog that nominated them, then created ten new questions for the blogs nominated by them. My job is to answer the ten new questions then create ten of my own. So here goes.
The Stories In Between
- What hobby would you get in to if time and money weren’t an issue?
Cartooning. I realize this isn’t a big money issue, but I simply don’t have the time for it. I draw a little bit but it’s nothing major. If I really had time to devote to it I would develop both a comic strip style storyline as well as an animated version.
- What is the most annoying question that people ask you?
How old are you? Lol. I’m 51 but I seem to still be holding up pretty well. The question seems to spark a lot of argument on occasion, prompting me to dig out my wallet and show my ID to prove I’m really that age.
- What’s something you’ve been meaning to try but just haven’t gotten around to it?
Making my own condiments. My wife just got me a stick blender for Christmas so I’ll be trashing the kitchen soon while I try to make homemade mayonnaise. Wish me luck!
- Do you have a dream job? What would it be?
Writing. My mother always beat me over the head with the idea of having something to fall back on and as a result I have always devoted my time to the fall back job and never enough time to my writing.
- If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what rule would you make?
Walk the way you drive people! Stop charging up and down whatever side of the sidewalk you feel like.
- If you could make a 20 second phone call to yourself at any point in your life present or future, when would you call and what would you say?
I would call myself at a rather specific moment twelve(ish) years ago and say “Don’t apologize. You are right.”
- What do you do to deal with stress?
I write stories and turn my antagonists into demons. I also play video games to kill things with impunity.
- Do you have any pets? What are their names?
I have three pets. Bill is a gray tabby who stares and chirps at things only he can see; Louie is a fat, orange tabby I bought from PetSmart… cuz I looked at him and he looked back. Ya know? Everette is a white ferret that seems intent on convincing Bill and Louie they are adopted.
- What is something that is really popular/cool right now that really annoys you?
Memes. ‘Nuff said.
- Do you have a favorite book/story from your childhood?
I have a number of them however there are two that stand out: A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L’Engle (I’m curious about the upcoming movie. Will my hope for a good translation from book to film be met or shattered?) and Taran Wanderer by Lloyd Alexander. Taran was given to me by mother who had a bad habit of not bothering to see if the book she was buying was part of a series. It was only after reading it that I actually read the entire cover and discovered I needed to save my allowance and buy the rest of the series. I am my mother’s child.
Questions from A Tree’s Roots
1, What is your favorite color and what does it mean to you?
A deep emerald green. To me it means health and good fortune. Just seeing this color will make me smile.
2. What prompted you to start blogging and/or writing?
I’ve always written stories. When I was around five or six my mother gave me a book with blank pages and it set my mind on fire. The blaze has burned long and hard. Starting a blog as an outlet for this seemed like a natural step.
3. What is the most significant journey you’ve been through?
The one I’m on right now, my life itself. I have made so many choices that I felt were arbitrary but turned out to be significant in the end. Where I’m at right now is not a place I would have seen myself even five years ago. It’s kinda fun to know that I can still blow my own mind.
4. Who or what is your greatest adversary?
I have to say my own fear of failure. Judging myself as harshly as I do can become paralyzing.
5. If you could conceptualize yourself as anything other than a human being, what would you be?
A tree. My life has been quite nomadic even in childhood. I would love to find a single location where I could put down my roots and just live.
6. How would you describe your safe place? If you don’t have one what do you imagine it might be like?
My safe place is anywhere without other people. I need to feel like my mind is the only one active in my immediate surroundings.
7. What is your favorite website?
Hmmm. I’m not sure how to answer this one. I don’t think I have a favorite but there are several that like a lot. I’m a big fan of Reddit and Twitch.
8. What type of media resonates most with you?
I love audio. Tell me a story. Read me a book. Turn on a podcast! I think I listen to movies more than I actually watch them.
9. Do you have any background/education/experience you feel benefits your blog?
Not really. I took a few college classes back in the day for english and creative writing but I didn’t enjoy them. I found them to be tedious and unenlightening.
10. On a scale of 1 (lowest) to 10 (highest) how would you rate your ability to empathize?
I have to go with 10. I am firmly standing on the side of over-empathizing to the point that it can ruin my whole day if I encounter someone oozing unhappiness. I carry that stuff around with me.
Before I list my own questions I would like to provide the list of blogs I am nominating. Each one is one that I follow and have enjoyed. I would really like it if you would take the time to check them all out.
Now for my questions.
- What is the one piece of advice that will forever jump into your mind because you didn’t take it when your were first given it?
- What is your favorite thing to binge on?
- What is a physical gesture you tend to use a lot and why? EX. talking with your hands, winking at someone while you speak, shaking your leg.
- Pick a card, any card… a tarot card. 🙂
- What are your top two pet peeves with our digital age lifestyle?
- What is your all-time favorite blogging beverage?
- Name a book/movie that you can watch/read again and again.
- What is an activity you enjoy watching other people do but don’t want to do yourself?
- How do you explain why water turns into ice to a four year old?
- What is a habit you have that you got from someone else?